SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
- A blower is a heckuva good buy. Something like this lasko high velocity utility fan Lasko at Lowe's: 12" High Velocity Utility Fan Basically something squat and compact that moves A LOT of air without getting in the way. If you can rig a window fan in a companionway hatch so you can get around it without it taking a spill, you're smarter than me. This utility fan can put out a match all the way across the boat, keeps mosquitos out, and it's easy for me to leave it in the cockpit and step over it.
During my various travels and living in a very hot place without air conditioning this summer I have discovered that all I need is a small 12vdc fan blowing directly on me. That's it. If I have that I can sleep like a baby even when temperatures soar well above 100 degrees F. As long as I can get a good sleep I do okay.

Quote:
- Non-perishable foods: oatmeal, rice, grits, dry beans, pasta, canned sauce, powdered milk, pancake mix, flour, yeast. Individually wrapped cheese does ok, but not american-style slice packaging, they melt out. Tortillas. Regular farmers market trips. I can really friggin believe it's not butter, I need a better fix there.
Nail, do you have a manual grain mill ? Love mine!

Quote:
- Tank water can get nasty. Use the water tank purifier stuff. I also got a rv water purifier that screws in the hose, at the "Market of Wal".
I highly recommend a product called "True Lime", there is also a "True Lemon", both available at some grocery stores but I have not found it at Walmart. It is basically crystallized lime, a natural product, just a powder in packets that you can add to drinks and other foods to give it some pep, and it also masks undesirable flavors such as the plastic flavor water storage containers leave in the water after it sits a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven38 View Post
The only hassle I have found is doing the laundry things like sheets and towels they are very hard to wring out drying is easy we have a clothesline around the entire cockpit but washing clothes is like going back to the 1800's
You can tie one end of a sheet to something on the boat then tie the other end of the sheet to a stick and give it a really good twist, that'll get rid of the water for sure, believe it! Piece of a mop handle works well. That said, I only hand wash clothing and such, I save the bedding for the eventual trip to a laundromat.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook