SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need to buy offshore foulies for this south-bound delivery?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009
Old Navy

TOMINDC2 is on a distinguished road
Yes buy fowlies -- the warmer the better.

Listen more to Tommays, and less to the commenters who so far have lucked out weatherwise. You may think you are in a tropical situation, but gale winds, sea sickness, exhaustion, and spray create a wind chill factor that will be way below the ambient temp when you set sail. In bad weather, dodgers often get torn off and cockpit decks turn blue. The most miserable cold I have ever been was on a June sail from Norfolk to Martha's Vineyard in a two-day Noreaster --sans dodger.

I would not consider any offshore sail without open ocean fowlies which would include two pair of heavy-duty gauntlet-style gloves (one to wear; one to dry out) in order to keep sleeves from draining into your gloves; and lots of fleece everything. Unlike cotton, fleece dries out at sea. You can always take stuff off, but you cannot put on what you do not bring, and your crewmates may not be eager to share.

Now if you were aboard a catamaran with a hard dodger and bimini, my advice would be quite different. That said, our old monohull fowlies are always stowed on board, if for no other reason, our dinghy lacks protective amenities like dodgers.
KatMan2 #992
Gemini 105MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook