SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hi SailNet, new member here..
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009

CapnMikel is on a distinguished road
Hi, thanks for the welcome & about stories (chuckles) well, to quote an ole singer/sailer from the Keys.. "OH the stories I could tell....!"

I had to do a lot of thinking (ouch) at times to get myself out of a pickle. Like the time I entered an anchorage in Georgia listed in the Skipper Bob guide (invaluable book- except for this one anchorage). Well I entered just as it stated to, ran aground in mud at mid tide (thankfully!) and watched and waited as the tide flowed out. It ALL left! My anchor and prop were out of the water & I was leaning over at 22*. Things were falling & finding new homes in the cabin, I kept watch until I was certain the tide was done (after getting approx info from my phone & chart plotter) Then I knew how much time I had to fix things. So, I jumped in my kayak, scraped the entire starboard side free of barnacles & put a new zinc on the prop shaft well, I had to do something or else I'd sit there worrying myself to death. So 1:31 AM (High Tide) was approaching & "SunRunner" was righting herself. I was frantic to know if enough tide would come in. I had already kayaked out my anchor to winch off just incase. Well the tide came in, I was floating & "almost unstuck" but as I turned/backed/turned/etc I kept getting stuck & free.. finally she wouldn't move & I was in slack water..
I had precious little time to fix things so I started winching her to starboard at a 45* angle to get her turned towards deeper water/ the channel of the ICW infact. It worked!! SIGH!! The tidal difference in that area was over 8 feet! THAT was a long night!!!!! & That's just one of many "adventures" from that trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook