SailNet Community - View Single Post - Albin Ballad 30
Thread: Albin Ballad 30
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2001

Dodger is on a distinguished road
Albin Ballad 30

Jack,

Thanks very much for your reply. I wasn''t honestly expecting one so quickly, considering the fact that Albins and more particularely the Ballads, aren''t very well known in this hemisphere.

As you noted, the shipyard of that era has an excellent reputation for building strong, capable boats. I''ve been searching for quite awhile for the right vessel with the right "compromise" of design features, and the ballad certainly has them. Combined with it''s reputation and the considering the purpose it was built for (as you say, cruisning/racing the North Sea), I was immediatly pulled to this boat when I saw her listing.

The boat doesn''t appear to have been upgraded all that much since 1974. But by this I mean mostly creature comforts and instrumentation, and it''s a minor factor in my mulling. The engine I believe is still the original Volvo 10 hp. The deck has had some delamination problems, but from what research I''ve done, thermal delamination (no water in the core) is a somewhat common problem for older Ballads, and easily repaired. A good survey should tell for sure. As I said in my earlier post, the sails will need replacing and the standing rigging most likely as well, both things I would do anyway before setting off for Tahiti.

The asking price is around $25,000 Canadian, and she''s been a Great Lakes boat for the last so many years of her life (possibly most of her life, I''m not sure yet). The broker tells me the sails definitley need "servicing" and the deck may need additional work. I think this will bring down the price even more. If the standing rigging is old (original??) then even moreso.

With regards to your comments about modern production boats and thier lack of deep water/big wind abilities, I read an interesting article the other day on just this subject. It seems it''s the average boat-buyer who''s causing this unfortunately, with thier need for a home-away-from home boat with more interior space and accomodations for entertaining on the dock on a Saturday night. This means a wider beam, longer cockpits, higher freeboard, taller coach roof, etc. All things that a make a design less sea-worthy. What the market demands now are coastal cruisers, and that''s what the majority of manufacturers are building.

Be interested to hear how you lost your Vega. Sounds like an interesting yarn! And thanks again for your reply.

Patrick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook