SailNet Community - View Single Post - ICW/outside, southbound, single handing
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by solosaler View Post
ottos: taken your post w/grain of salt. not looking to enter any nj inlet. been/done. btw, search system was used a bunch before my post. did you make the run w/boat from avalon/stone harbor last week?
It was a few weeks ago- and yes we did, although slightly delayed the start due to the nor'easter that hit. It was a pretty challenging trip - grueling, not skill wise. It was the owner and myself on a 44' Bristol - the other crew had to bail because of the delay.

He had purchased the boat during the summer and all was perfect and was planning on taking it to Solomons Island for some sprucing up before taking it back to California. His original trip to MD was delayed due to a tropical storm off the coast, so he went back to CA. On his return to Avalon, he found that the boat had been struck by lightning. All electronics were fried! Everything on the masthead had been blown clean off. So we took this 7.5' draft boat from Avalon to Solomons steering a compass course with a handheld GPS for backup guidance. Of course we had buoys to work with, except for the ocean leg and the lower end of the Chesapeake. Departed with the high tide from Avalon at around 1500 on Saturday and arrived around 0800 on Monday after dawdling off Solomons waiting for the sunrise. I slept well that night!

Last edited by ottos; 10-07-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook