SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life Choice Crisis - Call for Adages & Wisdom
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009

GreatWhite is on a distinguished road
Life Choice Crisis - Call for Adages & Wisdom

So I have a dream similar to many others to cruise with the family. I have a belief that the best time to this is while my boy's ages are at some where between the ages of 6 and 12. My boys are 4 and 6 now so I see the window as rapidly approaching and also see the opportunity having a very limited time window as time seems to FLY by.

We have a cruising boat already. We have done a shake down cruise with the family and I have gone with some adult friends and the experiences have been quite wonderful. The boat needs some work but is by no means a project boat. Financially we are not independently wealthy but have realized some of our equity out of our home into a boat. I am working full time and we bought the boat by down sizing our house a couple of years ago.

Now the big dilemma: My career is high gear and I am in my early 40s, I have a good job with a pension and benefits. I have been doing well and stand to be promoted at some point in the next few years if I keep working and focused on self improvement and job success. But there is also only one small window to cruise with the kids. I am familiar with the adages:
'you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did' and 'go now'

I do absolutely love sailing and luckily we thrive in our local fresh water lake sailing scene as weekend warriors. I grew up doing quite a bit of lake sailing and we put in many days of sailing a year as a family on the lake we live near.

Regarding ocean sailing, although it is filled with allure and intrigue for me, it is also a source of unease as I have only about 5 weeks of ocean sailing under my belt so far. Additionally, although I am fairly good with boat repairs and mechanically inclined, the prospects of spending time and money fixing our older boat while cruising full time is another source of anxiety.

My wife has been hugely supportive which is an incredible blessing. Although she has gotten quite sea sick on a number of occasions she has continued on with sailing and manages the sea sickness with good medication and easing into the sailing on our trips. She also seems to be getting over the sea sickness to a degree, although we will always have to manage it ! She rarely gets sea sick on the lake at all now.

The main source of anxiety for me is the financial and career impact. I think we can pull it off financially, but it is a gamble though if I give up my current job. Alternatively we could just spend four weeks a year cruising on the ocean, which is what we will do this year again without quitting my job.

The bottom line is that I have had a dream to cruise. My vision of parenting also includes a time spent do something memorable and exciting that my kids will remember for the rest of there lives and enjoying them one on one while they want to be with there dad. I too want look back at my time as a parent and say we did something truly special as a family.

I know there are no easy answers but I would welcome any inspiring life choice stories or adages or advice like: 'go now' or possibly contary advice 'save, pay off your house, save for retirement, go later.

Last edited by GreatWhite; 10-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook