SailNet Community - View Single Post - What makes a good light air boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMac View Post
bubb2 - thanks for the input. Reading the different comments here, it seems that, if one were in 3 knots of wind with a 130 headsail on roller furling and noticed that the leech was curling, it may well make sense to take in some of the head sail in order to reduce drag in the slot and create better airflow across the back of the main.

Btw - I hope you don't misunderstand my questions to mean that I think a different boat will compensate for the (rather considerable) holes in my sailing skills! I am very much hoping to build those skills in order to have more fun in whatever I boat I find myself in.

Thanks again!
Andrew

reading some of the comments along
Andrew, I run a 110% jib on my boat. It does well in light air and does well in heavy air. It will out point a larger sail. For the in between days is what a Asymmetrical is for.

I am not trying to say boat numbers are not important. However, what you might give in light air performance may give you stability when it gets snotty.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook