SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Bedford Mass-Cobb Island MD
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Hi Brad ,
I do have internet aboard & well fixed for heat . Sometimes the signal is a bit spotty but other then that ............. The first year went quick . The honeymoon is over , but I still fall in love with the boat a couple times a week . The last 3 weeks or so I've given up sailing & been all paint & varnish . I completely re-did the aft bulkhead . I took everthing off it sanded it & then 3 coats of fresh paint . I took the wood cleat that had been painted for years down to bare wood & gave it 6 coats of varnish . After that was done I sanded the cockpit deck & gave it 3 coats of fresh paint as well . The helm & the wheel also got 6 coats of varnish . I'm presently in the process of replacing the entire panel in the front of the cockpit with a piece of 100 year old plus oak I was gifted . I have the panel cut out & put the 4th coat of varnish on it last night . With everything I've varnished I've left the weathering or patina if you will intact . I made no attempts at bleaching or staining . To me it looks more interesting . The oak panel I'm working on now has some very interesting little dings in it that turned black with the varnish creating a nice effect . When she's done she'll look like she came original with the boat . When I finish this latest project I'm going to reward myself with a day of sailing . Maybe two . After a year aboard I'm not exactly as far a long as I envisioned owing to the failing economy . The little company I still own out West is not doing well at all , but this is as good a situation as I could have imagined for weathering the storm . It's a peaceful & simple life . I'm happy to awake every morning to a world of prospects instead of a myriad of " issues ". How was your season ??? Were you able to get out much ??? I got out as much as I could & benefited from the experience . Even with little money we ( the Skipjack & I ) have done so well that I can only imagine how good it will be when the economy begins to rebound . Hope this finds you & yours doing well & prospering .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook