SailNet Community - View Single Post - What size dinghy/motor hp for mooring access?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
If you are going with an inflatable, I would consider a small rigid hull if you don't plan on bringing it with you most of the time. If you have to tow it I find that RIBs tow far better than soft bottom boats. I have a 10' force 4 (From NZ) and a 4 stroke 9.9. I love the boat, carries 4 adults and we stay dry if the water is calm. I do however regret the engine. I find it very heavy to load and offload from my boat and doesn't have the guts that my 2 stroke did. If I could do it over again I would get Yamaha 2 stroke about 15 pounds lighter and you don't have to store it upright like a four stroke. That said a small 6 horse would get me to the boat and back just fine. Oh, the ribs also row much better than soft bottoms.
Do some research, if I could do it all over again I would get a walker bay type boat with the inflatable tube add ons. Slap a tiny outboard on that and your laughing, carry one under each arm.

Last edited by SVPrairieRose; 10-12-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook