SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swapping Out Wire - Rewire Tips?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPrairieRose View Post
putting your electrical panel anywhere near your cockpit. That is just asking for trouble from rainwater salt spray and just plain abuse from people carelessly stumbling through the companionway. There should rarely be a time you have to access the panel underway (turn on nav lights before you need em if you are single handing) To me that just looks like trouble waiting for a place to happen.
Many thanks for your concern for my safety but, even though this is not my thread, I feel impeled to clarify this question, for the sake of my own advice:

-My boat does not feature a sliding companionway hatch top and only the bulkhead opening is available as an acess to the cabin. As this and if the switchboard is folded to the inside there is no chance of water getting to it, except in the event of sinking and that is very unlikely in a trimaran, as you´re surely aware.

-I normally sail in restricted and uncharted river waters, ocasionally in the heavily shipping congestioned harbour of Lisbon, and I really think it is more of a danger to have to be constantly diving into the cabin to switch stuff on and off than those hypothetical dangers of water splashing arround that you mentioned.

-Careless people do not have a place aboard my boat, nor have I ever seen any of my regular crew (my dad, my girlfriend and my dog), all of them experienced sailors, stumbling anywhere near a boat. People who stumble are better kept ashore;

-A 35 Ah battery has much less autonomy than those batterie banks normally found in motorsailors and the like, and as such I do have the need of frequently switching circuits on and off a lot more oftenly than one might think. Electrical devices such as radio, depth sounder, cabin light, nav lights, auto pilot are only left on during the time they are really needed.

Anyway, once again thanks for your concern and advice but I was not the one asking for it

Regards

Portugal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pedcab; 10-12-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook