SailNet Community - View Single Post - Countertop refitting
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Looks good, fellow Formica Monkey! Couple questions, for our future boats: What do you use for substrate? Industrial PB is great as long as it never, ever gets damp. And do you laminate both sides of the substrate to keep it balanced? I don't, up here in the high desert; never had a problem with deformation. It might be useful on a boat in humid coastal areas, tho.

Attractive work. I'm starting to appreciate the use of phenolic laminate in boat interiors. Bob Perry uses a lot of it.
I always use 1/2 or 3/8 marine grade plywood that has glue not effected by fairly high moisture content. I after completion seal every surface with epoxy or at times spray with sealer/clear coat. This usually does the job. I never use particle board or MDF, moderate moisture content will warp and swell it. Phenolic is nice, expensive and don't breath the dust or it will mess you us pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook