SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing the Chesapeake mid November
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
I think you've gotten the correct advice. I took my boat from Rock Hall to Cape Charles around Thanksgiving a couple seasons ago. My recollection is that it is was cold, very cold once the sun went down. During the day, not too bad, bearable...but still cold. Polypro long underwear, fleece, hat and gloves.

Something else to keep in mind is at that time of year, the days are very short, so if you don't want to sail at night, you'll have only 8-9 hours of daylight each day. It will add a day or two to the trip to cover the 150 or so miles if you are sailing during daytime hours only.

Be careful with the weather, as is it not uncommon for a small craft advisory on the northern Bay to become a gale warning that time of year. I would not willingly choose to cross the Potomac in those conditions, so if you can hole up in Solomons or Reedville while it passes, all the better. If you get in trouble, or go in the water, you're in danger of hypothermia...

Last edited by jason3317; 10-12-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: my grammar sucked the first time
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook