SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swapping Out Wire - Rewire Tips?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Although tinned wire is better in terms of resiting corrosion...

THNN machine wire often pulls much better. It is the stuff that goes in conduit and is intended for pulling. Though I agree with other posters - if I can't get to it to repair it, why would I put it back there? I would strongly consider different routing.

It does meet the marine code and will crimp just as well as marine wire. It is very important that the crimps are well made, or the conection will fail. The only real disadvantage is that salt is more likely to do damage if it gets in the insulation at a break or at an end. Heat seal the ends if it is damp and use tinned wire as much as possible where there are conections in the damp.

Do not use THNN wire on engines, other source of exteme virbation, or for battery cables. In these aplications it does not comply - to stiff and subject to cracking.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook