Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 10
ok- I need some clarifications:
1) On the 640, are all the US Charts unlocked or is it by sub-region?
2) Can you load the charts onto a laptop and plan out routes and then download the routes back into the unit?
3) How does one update the charts? By sub-region or do you update the entire chart base?
OK--I received an e-mail from Garmin with the following responses:
1) All the US Charts are unlocked;
2) The new planning software uses the charts and can be used for planning both for G2 and G2 vision charts;
3) Charts are updated once per year at a current cost of $75 for all of the US G2 charts NOT the G2 Vision.
G2 Vision Charts are purchased by sub-region and updates are purchased by sub-region. If you do not use the G2 Vision charts, I think it is a pretty nice GPS and the Cost/Benefit seems somewhat reasonable.
There isn't a device on this world that can measure the indifference I have for that statement.