SailNet Community - View Single Post - What makes a good light air boat?
View Single Post
post #26 of Old 10-13-2009
DrB

One more boat that does well in Light Air

To the OP,

I know that you said that you didn't want to go over 32", but with a bunch of kids and wanting to do the occasional weekender, you will need the room.

Look at a Pearson 10M (33'). On paper it looks like a slow, fat boat. It's 33' long, has a 11' beam, displaces almost 12,500 lbs, skeg rudder, but...... the thing is pretty quick. If you get the tall rig (can find one) your NE-PHRF is around 135 AND you can get it for under $25K. The standard rig is 140ish as a PHRF. It's got pretty good creature comforts and is roomy below.

Yes, you can find a quicker boat in this length range, but all aorund it won't have everything the 10M has for the price.

Disclaimer - I own one (Tall Rig) and routinely kick ass on boats much larger than ours. I crew on J105, and while it is faster than the P10M in light air, it is spartan below, very low head room and tight even though it is 2 ft longer and the same beam. I imagine the J32 will be similar.

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome