SailNet Community - View Single Post - wasn''t anyone scared?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
wasn''''t anyone scared?

I am primarily a coastal sailor, and I have been sailing for six years. I single hand a lot and I am scared all the time. That doesn''t mean its a bad thing. Its very important to know your limits and the limits that your boat has. The boats limit far exceeds my limits and everytime I go out I learn something new and my experience is enhanced and my fear is controlled. Being scared is normal, but I never let it get out of hand. I deal with whatever comes my way the best way I can and I use my fear as a means of decision making. I have heard that coastal sailing is harder than offshore sailing, I really don''t know about this, but coastal sailing is a great teacher to prepare you for the offshore. So be scared and enjoy the learning, you will be surprised as to how much you can really do. Take it slow and in small steps and have fun. A friend of mine said to me that we have pleasure boats and it is not pleasurable to purposely go out when the weather is rough or there is heavy fog. Better to stay put and enjoy the wait.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook