SailNet Community - View Single Post - Holly grail for new teak!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesurfboy View Post
I talk about the exterior of course. Interior is already protected and less exposed to weather (sun & water).

About Varnish, can I absolutely trust this solution and only have to sand a bit each year and put 2 new coat? I fear the varnish will peal after a while even if I put two new coat each year... In fact, too much varnish will make the full coating too thick, I presume?

Also, because teak is oily, that makes varnish less grip?
If you have any concerns about keeping up with the varnish, then you should worry even more about the epoxy. If you don't protect the epoxy from UV, it will turn yellow and then cloudy, and eventually fail. It will be a mess.

The amount of maintenance for varnish varies by where you are located and how much abuse it gets. If you are living aboard in the tropics, you'll have to put more effort into it, maybe 2 or 3 sandings/coatings per year. If your boat is in Canada and you use it as a weekender and cover it in the winter, an annual sanding/coating might be too often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook