Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deale, MD
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Just use regualr automotive AF
Winterization, I am considering using windshield washer fluid (antifreeze) in my raw water systems vs the expensive and hard to obtain proprolyene based non-toxic antifreeze that is designed for potable water systems. I am in Poland & am having difficulty finding the Proprolyene stuff while windshield washer antifreeze is readily available (Methenol Based)
Any experiance, advice or cautions would be appreciated.
SV Bright Ayes
a. Regular auto AF is no more poisonous to fish that PG. Look up some MSDS sheets on the net to verify this. Remember, what is poisonous to people and what is poisonous to fish is very different.
b. Regular auto AF has NO PLACE in your drinking water systems. This is why most people recomend PG, since people can make mistakes. Make sure you do not. Yes, it is poison.
c. Both are equally biodegradable. Bugs dont know the difference.
d. DO NOT use windshield deicer. It is methanol or ethanol (less often) and can be very harmful to seals. It can also be flamable, depending on the consetration. Do not use it anywhere on the boat. It is also poisonous.
e. The spent used AF is recyclable at the marina or any gas station. EG or PG, but NOT the alchol types.
(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")
"Well, I just climb up to them."
by Joe Brown, English rock climber
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.