SailNet Community - View Single Post - New betamarine owner
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I removed the (likely original) aluminum fuel tank in my 30 year old boat, as I figured it should be checked / cleaned. Lucky I did. it had pits on the bottom, where it sat on a wood frame. I was able to dig small holes in the tank with a screwdriver. It had been leaking somewhat, as the wood smelled heavily of diesel.

I replaced the tank with the new 19 gallon moeller poly fuel tank (around $150), and it came complete with the sending unit. I think it is a no brainer to replace the old tank, if you can get at it. Even removing the engine is not a big job. Just label all wires, and don't adjust your engine mounts, so the alignment will still be good.

I now have very little worry about clogged filters, and even water (my racor never has any in it) for a few years, as the tank is so much cleaner than an old one. Don't get me wrong, I still change filters, etc, but thye will be much less fouled than if I had a bunch of crud in the old tank, getting stirred up with every big wave you hit.
While i had the engine / tank out, I took the opportunity to clean / sand and paint the engine compartment, and the engine itself. It is so much better to have it redone. Can see leaks easily, and keep everything clean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook