SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
1: everything in its place, and a place for everything! It's more than a mantra
2: no hard luggage or other containers, you'll never find a place to put them, use duffel bags and soft tools bags
3: prepare for winter, i advise that you get a boat with 1/4" insulation above the H2O line, stay warm
4: washable wool blankets are great!
5: get to know all your liveaboard neighbors! Have them over for dinner.
6: put your music into iTunes, CD's take space
7: make sure you nav station is comfortable. It will be your workspace/office too
8: Umbrella is the most useless thing invented, get a good rain coat and hat
9: air tight containers are a must, humidity is always high, very high, if you have lived in Tampa, Mobil, N.O., or Houston, you know what to expect
10: if you haven't used it in that past year, throw it away

I've lived most of my life in small places, so the change to a boat was not that bad. I miss the small garden plot. Otherwise, it is great living aboard a boat. The aft cabin is usually the most comfortable for sleep, so if you can, get a boat with a nice aft cabin. Boat systems vary greatly, I don't know how to tell you what you should or shouldn't have, but they need to be logical... what is on AC vs DC, what alternate source of power, heat, gas, batt charging, refrig, fresh vs salt water, etc... read a few books and talk to others to see what works for them.

finally, bright work (wood on the exterior of the boat) looks great, but it requires maintenance! Nevertheless, it is better than mowing a lawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook