SailNet Community - View Single Post - coastal cruiser recommendation
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009

neilsty is on a distinguished road
Question coastal cruiser recommendation

I am looking to purchase a newer used monohull in the 38 to 43 foot range for cruising in the Chesapeake for a few years, then moving down the east coast to the caribe as i get nearer retirement. Crew would be self and wife, but would need berths for 1 or 2 other couples. We have sailed day sailers for years on lakes in the NE, plus chartered / time shared larger boats on the Chesapeake, BVI, and Greek islands - so have some experience - but not bluewater. Our plans are to keep the boat on the Chesapeake to get familiar with it over several years plus take some bluewater sailing courses before venturing further afield. We have chartered cats, and the usual jeanneau, beneteau, bavaria, dufour, plus IP. I was not impressed with the build quality of the first 4 - they were OK for the charter trade, but I am looking for a better built boat. The IP 440 sailed better than expected, but still seemed sluggish. The IP380 could not point, and was frustratingly slow. I would like to spend somewhere in the 200 to 350k range for a boat no more than 8 years old. We like the Finngulf - but are concerned about the small tankage, saildrive, and the fact that it may be a lot of boat to handle. The wife wants a swim platform as she tore a rotator cuff geeting from the dinghy onto a boat, so this rules out valiants etc. I would really like suggestions / thoughts on what would be a suitable boat, and pros / cons based on peoples experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook