SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine room heat
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-15-2005
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Engine room heat

Sorry, I should have left you with a lead. The block heaters I am referring to are called "hot starts." Kim Hot Starts are a well known brand and they can be found at or Also, try your local marine diesel engine dealers and Yanmar dealers (ask for someone in the parts department). These outfits should be able to tell you if they make a hot start specific to your engine. Try to find one with a thermostat, that will automatically turn off or on depending on the coolant temperature. Also, the suggestion to check the auto and truck part stores is well worthwhile. As you are aware, just remove the word "marine" and the price drops. Block heaters are really common in diesel trucks (semis) in the northern climates. Hopefully you can find something that works. These hot starts are nothing more than a heater element (like a burner on a stove), that is specifically designed to fit into a coolant port on your engine block. A cord from the element either plugs into a regular 120VAC outlet or you can hardwire it into your system. Hope this has been of help, Vince
VinceHosea is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome