SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tough little boat
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009

mallory42 is on a distinguished road
Albin Vega again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I actually have that book (it is a great help). What I would like to do is find a boat that is bigger and more seaworthy than my C22, but, that I can still launch from a trailer (possibly with great effort once per year). I wouldn't expect that very many boats in this range would be good for regular trailer sailing. So, the trick is to find as much boat as I can, that still has moderate draft, and probably won't get me killed if caught in a big T-storm in the middle of Lake Michigan.

Here is my expanded list:

Bristol 24 -- Draft 3'5". Standing headroom
Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 -- Draft 3"10", maybe a bit deep
Bayfield 25 -- Draft 2'11" !, too tender?
Cape Dory 25D -- Draft 3'6". 'Slouching' headroom
Pacific Seacraft 25 -- Draft 3'3". Maybe not enough headroom.
Vancouver 25 --Draft 3’10”
Cape Dory 26--Draft 3'7".
Voyager 26--Draft 3'4". Probably too hard to find.
Albin Vega 27--Draft 3’10” Maybe too deep, but, I like it.
Nor’Sea 27--Draft 3’10. Designed for trailering.
Bayfield 29 -- Draft: 3’6”! Like the head in place of V berth.
Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 --Draft 3'8". Maybe too much wood to care for.
I'll swear by this boat, built for the north seas and I believe they delivered by an Trans Atlantic crossing, to the U.S. to be sold. This little boat is very sea worthy, I've sailed on one in Jacksonville Florida on the St.Johns River at night through a squall 2 years ago from a Tropical Storm in South Florida, I know it wasn't the ocean however the river was a 3 to 4 foot white cap chop, the boat sailed really well with a reef in the sail, I was surprised. I later sailed the same boat to St. Augustine Florida off shore in 6 to 7 foot seas and didn't have a problem at all other than this I've heard of people doing circumnavigations in them, so I've heard. Be careful of Cheoy Lee's they don't call them Cheoy Leakey's for nothing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook