SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tough little boat
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009

mallory42 is on a distinguished road
Launch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post
There are a couple of Ariels for sale in the lake michigan area. Ariels are good solid boats, well liked by their owners.

I feel that trailer 'launch able' depends more on draft than other considerations. 4ft being about the max that most ramps can handle.
Torsion half axles, would easily allow the keel support on the trailer to be within 6" of the ground as opposed to over a foot for a regular axle, so the needed ramp depth would be a bit easier to find.

Though I've thought about inflatable pontoons on the trailer, or hard floats that can be let out on reels so you could float the boat/trailer out to deeper water then 'sink' the trailer from under the boat and reel it in. That way, as long as you had deep water nearby, all you'd need at the ramp would be two or three feet of water. It would open up a whole lot of launch areas.

Ken.
Why not take it to a Marina and use the Travel lift, it could be a lot safer, less of a hassel and in doing this you have professional help with your rigging, a 27 foot boat mast isn't the easiest to just pop up on your boat at the ramp they are fairly heavy and I wouldn't do it with my girlfriend and nobody else. You also have to make sure that you don't put up your mast and then realize you have a bridge down the road and have to take it down, I don't know about up North but a lot of ramps down here in Florida are up smaller creeks and rivers which are crossed by low lying bridges that allow for small water craft generally on trailers but not sail boats with a 30 foot mast, know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook