SailNet Community - View Single Post - radar detectors
Thread: radar detectors
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009

Darrinsailboattrash is on a distinguished road
Seeing as most forums ask you to search before creating duplicate posts, this is what i did. Some forums also don't like you to post in ancient threads, but this one was titled appropriately, so i did it anyway.

I am a single handed sailor, and not exactly what most would call rich. In fact, I'm pretty broke most of the time, unless I have just finished a fiberglass/carpentry contract, and even then, it never lasts long! my boat sucks it up quick! you know a "hole in the water..."

Being single-handed, and planning to sail long passages this way, i need some kind of radar detector like the old Collision Avoidance Radar Detector. Sadly, this company does not exist anymore, and all google can tell me is about the wonderfull world of AIS.

AIS is only useful for ships over 300tons, but what about that 70 foot sport fishing boat that's rippin' along at 20-30knots on autopilot, with the pilot down below watching satellite TV? or the Shrimp boats that don't pay attention to where they're going either?

most larger vessels (by larger, i mean 60+ft) usually use radar, and have it spinning most of the time. The c.a.r.d. was a great system!

my question:

does anyone know if there is some small company that makes something similar?

or:

if not (and i'm pretty sure there isn't, cause i've googled extensively) does anyone know how hard it would be to make one.

the c.a.r.d. drew less than an amp from the batteries, so single handers could get longer cat naps with the alarm set. i cannot afford a brand new radar, and even if i could, having to run the engine to have the radar in watchman mode all night is not practical if you're going to be at sea for more than 2 weeks.(i don't want to carry a whole lot of fuel, and the fuel i do carry, i want to use for moving the boat, not charging the battery).

am i basically screwed, and have to buy radar, or are my night's rest basically doomed for all eternity?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook