SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tough little boat
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is the C22 really less seaworthy than these other boats? I can see that it's less comfortable- but is it really less safe- and what about the C22 makes it so?

In defense of the C22, it seems like it's heavily rigged for its displacement, and the hull is extremely thick hand-laid fiberglass. It also has small windows, all of the hatches can be well sealed and are made as strong as the deck itself, and able to be fastened securely. A lot of the parts are the same as used on the Catalina 27 which has almost 3x the displacement
I think the C22 is a well built boat for the money. I agree it does have good standing rigging. However, as a whole I don't think it was intended to go off shore. All else the same, the C22 is just too small to be as safe as the boats listed. The cockpit is too big (I did add additional scuppers). The deck gear is not very robust, and some parts don't even have backing plates. The flat shape in the hull will result in limit of positive stability (or whatever it's called) that is not high enough. And finally, I just am not comfortable with a swing keel in bad conditions. Even with good weather forcasts, I would imagine it is possible to get pretty trashed in a 3 day passage from Milwaukee to the North Channel, for example. I would like to go into bad weather knowing that the boat is stronger than I am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook