SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and Cons of Catalina 350??
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfinger View Post
snip....
They biggest defect with the 350 is in the refrigeration system---they didn't put enough insulation in it, so it tends to be inefficient. However, this has been rectified in the Mark II model. If an inefficient refrigerator is the biggest shortcoming in a boat, it's a pretty good boat.
That is one of the most aggravating things about a lot of production boats. It wouldn't add much at all to the cost to properly insulate the icebox while the boat is being built, but they don't and its nearly impossible to access the areas you need to insulate after the boat is finished so the fridge is a huge battery drain on most production boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfinger View Post
The 375 is an interesting boat as well. Actually, the differences between it and the 350 are so subtle that I wonder why they actually make both boats. It has one extra shelf in it, and a slightly better chart table. The main difference is that the extra shelf is a good place to a put a TV. Beyond that, it's tough to tell it's a different boat than the 350.
I went on the 375 at the Annapolis boat show and I thought the differences between it and the 350 were pretty significant and it seemed to me the differences between the 350 and 375 were a lot wider than between the 34 and 36. Different perspectives I guess. The way the boats were crowded in for the show I couldn't get a good look at the lines but I liked what I could see.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook