SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009

Pneumatic is on a distinguished road
New Cal 22 Owner. Eugene, OR

Hello fellow cal 22 owners. I recently upgraded from a '78 Cat 22 to a '88 Cal 22. Huge improvement over the Cat 22. I haven't sailed her yet because it did not come with sails and the reservoir is drained for the winter but I can't wait to get her on the water and see what she can do. We plan on buying the sail kits from sailrite and making our own sails. I'll let you guys know how that works out. The boat has a few minor issues and I am needing some advice/help from other cal 22 owners. First; the torque bearings-the plastic extrusions that connect the furler extrusions- are broken and CDI no longer has replacement parts. Any suggestions on how to repair the furler? If it can't be fixed I might have some parts available and just use hanked on head sails. Second, there appears to be a ceramic gooseneck that connects the boom to the mast but no pins or bolts to attach to either one. Could someone provide picture of how the boom connects to the mast? Last; the post for the table is missing. I contacted Recmar and they no longer have parts for the table. Again, could someone provide pictures and measurements for the post so I might fab one myself. Besides the previously stated issues the bottom has hundreds of small blisters. I'm thinking of not doing anything about it for a season and stripping the gelcoat and applying an epoxy barrier coat next year. Any thoughts? This winter I plan on removing all the deck hardware and re-bedding it. I also plan on buffing out and polishing the gelcoat on the topside and deck. Other than the blisters she’s in good shape and should clean up very nice. I look forward to your comments, suggestions and assistance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook