SailNet Community - View Single Post - UV Protection for Roller Furled Genoa
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009

countrygent5201 is on a distinguished road
UV Protection for Roller Furled Genoa

I'm brand new to the site, so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been answered a thousand times before. Here's the issue:

I recently purchased an 86 Hunter 28.5 with a 150 genoa installed on a roller furler. The previous owner had a white Dacron strip sewn on for UV protection many years ago. Since the sail had not been unfurled in several years, the strip became extremely dirty and laden with mildew. Last week, I took the sail down for cleaning. I used a mild detergent with a cup of Oxi Clean in three galls of water. The sail cleaned up fairly well with much scrubbing, but the Dacron strip that had been exposed to the weather for years without cleaning did not clean well and became extensively damaged during the cleaning process. In some places where the mildew was especially heavy, the strip virtually disintegrated. All of the actual sail, including what I can see underneath the UV strip, appears to be in very good condition -- especially considering that it's the original sail that came with the boat.

The question is, what to do now. I do not want to leave the torn, worn-out and dirty UV strip on the sail. The options appear to be (1) have a new Dacron strip installed, (2) have a Sunbrella UV strip installed, or (3) cover the sail with a sleeve. I could use some help on which of these options are the most economical. I'm sure either would be effective for my remaining sailing years, so cost is the biggest factor. Anybody had any experience with the sleeves? How do they work? I assume they would require a separate halyard. The boat is rigged with a spinnaker halyard (but no spinnaker), so would this work? What do they cost? Can you buy them pre-made or would it have to be custom made by a canvas shop? What would a Sunbrella strip cost? I'ver heard upwards of $600, which I don't want to spend on a sail this old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook