SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard home theater
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Nail,

I use a nano-ITX board w/ 12vdc power, works great, runs Linux just fine. The board I use is extremely low power, but they make them even lower, there is one nano-ITX board out there that is about 6 watts and doesn't even require a fan, it just has a heat sink, so you can hide it away in whatever enclosure you want to use. Simple enough to add IR sensors so you can use a remote control, though I have not actually done that (yet), high resolution video, enough to drive my display at 1280x1024, ether, etc. Combine it with a solid state drive and it is very, very hard to kill.

Edit, also, I would use an external drive, because the drive ends up using more power than the µP.

Edit #2, and I did manage to kill a power supply, but I have lots of radios and sensors hooked up to my µP so things like that happen sometimes. Now that I have installed reverse polarity protection on all of my circuits I hope I won't cause myself any more problems.

Edit #3, before you commit to a display, you might consider looking around, I found a display that is 12vdc with an external 120vac supply. I use a dc-to-dc converter for that and it works great, my entire setup is now 12vdc and doesn't require an inverter.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-17-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook