SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA or US Sailing Certification
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
cmartens2, welcome to Sailnet. As an ASA instructor, I will obviously endorse their program. That being said, both will put you in the right direction for a life of a most enjoyable pastime/lifestyle. It is good to see you take the initiative to pursue what alot of us had to wait later in life to learn. I didn't get started until I was 18 and on my own. Both ASA and US Sailing have their own focal points on sailing. ASA seems more cruising oriented and while US Sailing is more into performance/racing. Given the opportunity, I would enroll in courses offered by both. Check with the local sailing clubs to see what is offered. Since you are approaching the age where you will have access to H.S. and then college one -design racing , it seems that US Sailing may have a little more to offer you. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. Alot of good sailors came up through the ranks of dinghy racers. Whatever you choose, good luck to you, and don't take us oldsters too seriously. We just try to steer you newbies away from all the mistakes that we made.[and still make!]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook