SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain anchor rode length
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm butting in here , not being one of those who has done it all, but.....

The occasions when you will anchor in 80+' are going to be rare.

Most times I would have thought 150' of chain would be ample with the rope for when you need to get all the chain on the bottom. Even 150' is not light weight living up front. What's the Ericsons anchor locker layout ?

If you then find the occasion to need an extra 100' of chain why not keep that separate from the other, stowed way down low and only brought out when needed. Yes it's a bore when you have to do it but keeping the weight down in the ends, is important.

I've never heard of anyone using chain (other than the first few metres) for a stern anchor. Maybe I'm wrong but I cannot see the need for it.

We currently carry 120' of chain and have found that sufficient for all our needs but have never anchored in deeper that 60'. Then I put all 120' on the bottom plus rope. We are 34' steel. displacement 5.4t (12,000 lbs).

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-19-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook