SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain anchor rode length
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for the great feedback. I'm really appreciating the comments on the stern anchor chain length, as that will not be in use very often (when you have it sitting at the dockbox, it's hard to let it go...). The primary is easy to justify. The reason for the 5/16" is the windlass just installed is set up for it. I like the idea of keeping the weight more midships... will work for the stern anchor and associated rode. I'll ck out the Complete Book of Anchoring. Thanks for the tip. Our "milk run" plan includes plenty of time for messing about and hopefully never having to get in a hurry to be at any place at any time other than weather and current considerations. I've been told if you can anchor in Southern California you can anchor anywhere, but being old and grey and a bit cautious...
Craig, your Rocna anchor is next on the list when the rode is bought, so I do appreciate your real world experience. Given a choice between a SS plow and a SS danforth copy (because I inherited both with the boat), which would you take as a stern/backup anchor?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook