SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Small for a Surveyor ??
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Depends on what you are paying for the boat?

This is on the small side of what I would think should get surveyed. One thing to consider is there is not many systems to worry about. When I was looking at a Catalina 27, I had called a surveryor and asked his advice. Based on what I told him and the lack of any systems on the boat, he suggested I did not need his service. Of course it was a $4500 boat with new rigging and no motor and no electrical system.

If the boat is fairly basic and you know the following things may need replacing. I would factor that into the purchase. If you do not know much about boats check out Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" or this SN article by SailingDog
Boat Inspection Trip Tips. Between these two resources I felt comfortable doing my own preliminary inspection. If the boat was big enough or complicated enough, I would then hire a surveyor to see what I missed.

On a boat this small and basic there is not a lot there. If there is hull issues and rigging issues, I hoping the running rigging is at least in like new shape. Unless this is your "dream" boat or really cheap I would keep looking. There are a lot of good deals on nice boats out there for cheap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook