SailNet Community - View Single Post - Request boat comparison information on 4 boats
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Request boat comparison information on 4 boats

Jeff, thanks for your detailed reply. Since my first post, I have found an Ericson 35 Mark II, tall rig for sale. While it''s a 1970, it has recently had new standing rigging, new 27 h.p. Westerbeke diesel (480 hours), new plumbing, newer paint on deck/topsides, bottom paint/zincs, newer cushions, etc. A July 2005 survey had only two minor recommendations, both of which have been addressed. It seems to be in good shape, with most of the major items being replaced (sails were "serviced" by a local sail loft in summer, 2005--mainly stitching seams, I think--and the staff indicated the sails have 6 - 8 years left if used with care.
I love the look of the Ericson boats, and appreciate your comment about their quality. While I have chartered 33 and 34 foot boats, I am most accustomed to sailing my San Juan 23, so moving to a larger boat is a bit daunting. I frequently sail single-handed, so need to ensure that I will be able to manage this boat. But I recall feeling similarly intimidated when I moved from my previous smaller boat to the san juan 23, and yet that has worked out really well. Any other suggestions as I contemplate this move?
Thanks again for your helpful post.
Frank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook