SailNet Community - View Single Post - Request boat comparison information on 4 boats
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Request boat comparison information on 4 boats

Neicy,

I''m sorry that I missed your inquiry. I am going through a divorce and 8 months ago I was house sitting a home without a computer and so I did not have access to the internet except at the office. Since that time I have not been able to or have chosen not to spend as much time on the web as I used to.

I am somewhat familiar with several 31 foot Dufour models. I am not a big fan of Dufours of the 1970''s and 1980''s when the two most popular of the 31 foot models were in production. That said I like the late 1970''s early 1980 Dufour 31 a lot better than the earlier Arpege.

FrankLanger
A couple quick points here: First of all, the rigs that were popular at the time that most of these boats were designed were less than ideally proportioned for single-handing. Similarly, these early fin keeled boat really tracked poorly and so required a lot of steering input. The deck layouts were such that you really could not get your hands on critical adjustments within easy reach of the helm (no less raise or lower or reef sails from the cockpit). This was only made worse on the wheel steered boats of that era.

The other thing is your comment regarding the sails. While they may still be ''white triangles'', 7 or 8 years is pretty much the useful lifespan of a lightly used genoa on a boat like this. So unless the sails are close to new you can expect to need new sails way sooner than that.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook