SailNet Community - View Single Post - SPOT - Satellite Personal Tracker
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
SPOT - Satellite Personal Tracker

I just picked up a SPOT (Satellite Personal Tracker).

If it works as advertised it will be a great way to stay in touch with the family back home (I just began single-handing this summer and am already planning a big trip for next year that will involve a lot of solo sailing).

I have read a lot of reviews of the product. (Of course I read these after I had bought my unit). Many of the reviews say that the service is inconsistent and there are areas where the satellite coverage is not so good. One area that was mention was Northern Georgian Bay. This is the area in which I plan to be sailing! It seemed that most of the problems where due to overhead obstructions (trees).

Does anyone have any experience with this unit on a boat?

Does anyone use one in Northern Lake Huron (South of Manitoulin and in the North Channel) or Georgian Bay? Any issues with satellite reception?

I tried a "Check-in/OK" message from home last night. It worked very well. It put me about 10 feet from where I sent the message. The link to Google Maps is pretty cool.

Anyhow, any feedback will be appreciated.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook