SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lippincott 30 - Info wanted - PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
Well the boat mentioned in the post above officially became ours as of Sunday!

The survey turned out very good. The biggest issues found were that there was an extreme amount of bottom paint buildup on the bottom and the keel will need refairing. I think for next season I'll just throw on some cheap bottom paint and let it slide one more year until we can save up to have the bottom soda blasted. After reading up on various ways of removing bottom paint, I think I'd rather pay to have her bottom blasted than trying to sand or use chemical strippers myself. Maybe if I find someone at the yard who can fair out the rough spots in the paint without going down to gelcoat I'll take them up on it, but I'll wait and see.

Other than that, the chainplates and stanchions are going to need some rebedding but that's to be expected on a boat of that age. There aren't any major leaks so I figure it's a project I can chip away at somewhat slowly.

Long range I'd like to improve the sail inventory both with a 110 working jib and a spinnaker. I haven't decided whether I'd want asymmetrical or poled, but I'll wait and see how she performs and how much racing I find I actually want to do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook