SailNet Community - View Single Post - Request boat comparison information on 4 boats
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Request boat comparison information on 4 boats

Thanks all of you who posted. I came close to buying the 1970 Ericson 35, because it looked great in the pictures, the reviews were good, it had engine, standing rigging, most electronics replaced, recently painted professionally, etc. However, upon close questioning, the owner mentioned that the only one thing that he had not done was investigate/correct the "minor deck delamination" mentioned in the 1999 survey when he bought the boat. As there is too much hardware mounted on the foredeck, he decided he couldn''t find the leak, and has been "keeping any eye on it, but it isn''t at all spongy". Given that it has probably gotten alot worse over the past 6 years since then, I decided that despite the many positives, this is not the right boat for me at this time.
As a caution to others, the owner had had a survey done in July, 2005, which he kindly sent me, which did not mention the deck delamination. It was a survey done for insurance purposes, so less detailed than one that might be for a purchaser--therefore, don''t assume that all surveys are equal or comprehensive.
So my search for either an Ericson or Aloha 30 - 35 on the west coast (BC)continues. Fortunately, I''m not in a hurry, as I currently own a smaller boat, so I''ll wait until the right boat comes along.
Thanks for all your replies. This advice is very helpful.
Frank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook