SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009

Thadius123 is on a distinguished road
Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!

Hi All !

I was wondering if anyone had some sound technical advise for me as far as dockside internet access is concerned?

I currently connect through a marina wireless internet provider using a WaveRV (Radiolabs) USB antenna connected to my desktop computer. It has the hardware built in to the antenna itself and has a 15' USB cord with the related software installed and running on my computer.

Typically my connection speed is on average 10Mb/sec download and 0.8-0.9Mb/sec upload speed using the "Speedtest" website as an indicator.

I want to be able to run a wireless signal throughout my boat in order to give me more flexibility in where I can place my desktop as well as to get rid of the direct USB connection to it. I also plan on using other wireless devices (AppleTV, Skype, etc) so I want to ensure the best possible signal quality. I require internet access ONLY while at dock and I am currently about 300' from the provider signal on shore.

I see a lot of other systems with external non-usb antennas, bridges, routers, PoE, etc and this really seems like overkill if I don't need internet access while away.

So it seems my best remaining options are:

1. Keep the usb antenna, purchase a small notebook computer running WinXp, install the antenna on that and then bridge this connection to my Apple Airport Express wireless access router using the Local Area Connection adapter on the notebook.

2. Buy a high power wireless router. Should this in itself provide a good enough connection to the ISP connection point if the router was mounted inside my boat? This would eliminate both the USB antenna and the Airport Express from the scenario entirely.

I'm not entirely sure why a bridge would be needed for my particular application. I am of the understanding that a bridge is needed in stand-alone systems that use an external antenna to connect to the chosen router that will be used? So in essence in scenario #1 above the notebook would be acting as the "bridge" between the usb antenna and the Airport Express router?

Am I at least heading in the right direction here? I apologize for my ignorance here.

Thoughts, comment or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook