SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marine surveyors in southern Maine

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stiffwind 
#1 ·
Has anyone dealt with a marine surveyor in southern Maine that they felt was really good? I looked on their association website and there are several listed but I am looking for recommendations from people who have actually dealt with specific surveyors. The reason that I am asking is that I haven't always been impressed with surveyors that I have dealt with in the past.

This would be for doing an insurance and general survey of a fiberglass boat.

#2 · (Edited)
Gene Barnes out of Gloucester, MA may be willing to do a survey in Southern ME. I had him do one for me a couple of years ago. He was very thorough, very knowledgeable and very professional. He provided me the written report within a day or two.

Gene Barnes, Marine Surveyor
E. F. BARNES, INC.
Yacht Surveyors and Consultants
Post Office Box 718 Gloucester, MA 01931-0718
978-281-6040 Fax: 978-283-5709
Specialty: Yachts, Small Craft

#3 ·
Has anyone dealt with a marine surveyor in southern Maine that they felt was really good? I looked on their association website and there are several listed but I am looking for recommendations from people who have actually dealt with specific surveyors. The reason that I am asking is that I haven't always been impressed with surveyors that I have dealt with in the past.

This would be for doing an insurance and general survey of a fiberglass boat.
Brian Hathaway in Portland ,Maine. I've used him a couple of times over the years. Very good surveyor.

#5 ·
Buddy Hitchcock, of Hitchcock Marine Surveys, LLC. of Essex, Conn. did my purchase survey in Jamestown RI. I had also used him on another boat that he saved me from purchasing. Did a very professional job on both vessels. I bought the second one. I know he travels to Southern Maine and would trust him again to do any of my survey work. I also might say that I did intensive research into values of sailboats in the category that I was looking over a two year period and I found Buddy's opinions to be right on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.