SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard? Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Living aboard? Where to start?

After about 3 yrs now of reading the various posts on here, and most of the books recommended, the main piece of advice I have to offer is to be realistic about what you are going to actually do. NOT, what you''d like to do, or want to do, but what you actually WILL do.

Unless you plan to live at a dock and keep your land based life, then to me, it does become something of a philisophical question, because living aboard while cruising is a major change in lifestyle. In one sense, it is much like the difference between working for someone, or working for yourself. When you work for yourself, the degree of risk and responsibility are much greater, as well as the dedication needed to make it work, but the rewards can be much greater as well.

That isn''t to say that one is better than the other. It''s only to point out that you need to really understand what it is you truely want and expect from living aboard. Once you''re sure of that, then you can have a better idea of what you need to make it happen.

When I cast off the docklines this spring, it will be as a coastal cruiser, not because I wouldn''t like to sail around the world, but because I know that is what I will do. And while I drool over the Outbound 44, I''m setting off in a Pearson 28-2, because that''s all the boat I''ll need. And determining what you need, to me, is where you start.

Fair winds and best of luck,
John

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook