SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you tell 1st timers on your boat
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
and when did anyone, feel less fearful after any one of you told your newbies not to be afraid?

I like to suggest; " if you feel uncomfortable, Please let me know if the boat scares you in anyway." After, I always thank them for coming on the boat no matter how short a sail we had or even if it was just to motor around.
I truely beleive most people will not come back on a boat if the first experiance is the least bit uncomfortable. My guests comfort is more important that "showing" how I "handle" the boat.

Hey! I'm not suggestsing ANNNNNY of the guys have egos that make them want to impress others!
If I have someone on the boat who is truly apprehensive, I will hand them the mainsheet, and tell them if the boat heels too much just let this out until you feel comfortable. I had a friend of my wifes on board who was too fearful even for that, so I sat her next to me and she ended up driving. After a few minutes, all was well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook