SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius123 View Post
Thanks for the information. Rather than purchase a bridge I would rather just keep my existing USB antenna and effect the bridge between that and the router with the notebook. Obviously my existing USB antenna (built-in hardware) would be incompatible with any bridge I would purchase and necessitate the need to also acquire an external stand-alone antenna.

With regards to the actual bridging in the network configuration control panel are there any potential hardware conflicts that I should be aware of?

Would I expect to see any sort of signal or quality degradation with respect to my average speeds I reported earlier with such a network setup?

Thanks for the reply as it was very informative.

Cheers!
I just went back and read your original post and it sounds like what you are trying to do is to use an existing computer to create a bridge/router using an existing USB card/antenna combination device. That will work, but you have to figure out how to configure your specific computer to do things like packet forwarding, set up your route tables, set up a DHCP server if you want one, a firewall, and whatever else you want to do with it. You are essentially creating a router. As to what specific settings you have to enable to get that to work that varies depending on the operating system you are using.

Once you have that set up as a bridge and/or router, then yes you could hook that to another wireless router and go about your business. But you don't even have to do that, you could install a second wireless card in the device you are turning into a router and it can use one of the wireless interfaces to connect to the access point, and use the other one to act as an access point for devices on your boat. To do that requires some research, it can be done with Linux but I don't know how you'd do it with another operating system.

I would not expect your network speeds to change much.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook