SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius123 View Post
In that scenario would I even require a second wireless card? The external USB antenna/hardware combo is in effect the interface that connects to the external ISP access point. After installation of the antenna software on the "notebook" it shows itself as an active wireless hardware device under the network control settings along with the existing Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection adapters already built into the notebook.

Could I not "bridge" both the new antenna hardware device (which has now actively connected to the shore ISP) and the notebook's built-in wireless card as it shows itself in the Network Connections page? I understand this is achieved by highlighting both devices one wants to bridge, right clicking on them and then using the "Bridge Connections" option that comes up.

Shouldn't the netbook's built-in wireless card now act as a wireless internet access point thereby allowing me to connect to it with any other wifi device aboard my boat (computer or otherwise)?
The short answer is ... probably.

Under Linux it would depend on the drivers. If your internal wireless card was compatible with Linux then you could probably figure out a way to make it work, if not you'd be investing in another card. Under another operating system I don't know, I'd hate to try to do something like this under Windows, but on an Apple it probably wouldn't be quite as bad. Once you get past the GUI interface Apple and Linux are very similar.

You could try bridging them like you wrote about above, who knows, might work!

But by default your internal wireless card is going to be configured as a client and not an Access Point, so you are going to have to fix that somehow, either that or you are going to have to bring up yet another piece of equipment to act as an intermediate Access Point for both the laptop card and your other devices.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook