SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Lakes cruise
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Great Lakes cruise

Irwin,
My family and I recently cruised Lake Huron from Port Huron through the Straights. We started our trip in Detroit and our final destination was Chicago. While on Huron, to save time and miles, we hugged the wetern shore line. We made three different stops as we made are way North.

The one harbor, of the handful that I would not pass again is Presque Isle.

Presque Isle is simply a beauty. Its one of the rare natural harbors on that shoreline. If you like natural beauty this is the one.

A short walk through large pines brings you to the original lighthouse which has tours.

It is very isolated. The only emenities are the boat house with showers, a ships store with groceries, and a very nice resturant.

If you like quite, this is the place.

It''s easy to imagine the old steamers dropping a hook in the bay to take on fresh supply of cordwood so they could continue on their way to ports like Chicago and Detriot.

Presque Isle is a destination that I plan on returning to some day.

It sound as if you will be exiting Georgian Bay to start your way South to the St. Claire River. That being the case you may not want to cross back and make a stop there. Besides, you''ll see more in the Channel and Georgian than at this harbor, but for us who did not make the Channel, it was a very nice layover.

Best of luck on your cruise and relocation to Lake Ontario. Will you be locking through the Welland? I hear that is quite an experience.

Again, Good luck and Fair Winds.

Sailor Tim

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook