SailNet Community - View Single Post - Performance keel or standard Keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009

wakesurfboy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Performance keel or standard Keel?

I order a 2010 Jeanneau 39 DS with the new performance package (previously available only with the 39I) and I have two keel options:

1. Standard keel
- Cast iron fin keel with elongated bulb and exterior epoxy barrier coat
- 6’7”
- Weight 5026 Lbs

2. Performance keel
- Cast iron fin keel with elongated bulb and exterior epoxy barrier coat
- profiled leading and trailing edges
- 7’3”
- Weight - 4631 Lbs

The Shoal draft keel (4' 11", 5628 lbs) is much shorter permitting more possibilities in the south Florida or Bahamas but I have to remove the performance option to get it. The performance option includes:

- Genoa tracks adjustable Harken lead cars with control line lead aft to cockpit;
- Performance mast SELDEN aluminum with double spreaders, spinnaker track mounted forward
- Backstay adjustable via a SELDEN adjuster
- Genoa furler Facnor® racing series with removable drum, double sail slot and aerodynamic profile, mounted to stemhead fitting,furling line lead aft to roof winch
- Running rigging Dyneema® mainsail halyard, genoa halyard, mainsheet, genoa sheets
- Performance mainsail Prestige series tri-radail with sandwich construction of double taffeta layers for form stability, 2 automatic reefs
- Performance furling genoa 125% tri-radail with sandwich construction of double taffeta layers for form stability and Sunbrella® UV luff protection, Rutgerson® stainless steel eyes
- Feathering propeller, 3-blade, Flex-o-Fold

My first move was taking the standard keel by default but I realize the performance keel is only 8" more and 400 lbs less! I know this choice is all related to water dept but my research results tell me I will not go anywhere further with the 6'7" compare to 7'3" so why not choose performance?

Need help to choose before they built the boat!

Last edited by wakesurfboy; 10-21-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook