SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt—

It would help if you knew the capabilities of the devices in question before saying what they can or cannot do. The two devices I mention, as configured, cost less than $300. BTW, D-Link DWL-730G AP can be configured as either a router, an Access Point or a Bridge... if it is configured as a router, then you'd only be paying for one connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I just came back to read what was going on here... SD - while the products listed on your link get rid of the loss issue with the antenna and run 12v, they still only run in bridging mode and you need two different devices to have both a wireless access point and a station/repeater. This is a major limitation, and I've only found two devices out there, one at around $1,500 and the other over $2k that can function as both simultaneously, and as a router. Let me give a scenario. You're in Warderick Wells, Bahamas. Internet costs $30 for three days of access per device. You have two laptops (or in our case, three) on board - one for you, one for your wife and one for your kids. With a bridge, you're forced to buy three logins. With a router, you can hide all your computers behind one connection. On top of that, you can also enforce security through a basic firewall since you're running at layer 3. But - your only choices for doing this today are to buy two different boxes (for most non-tech people, that means learning where to put the devices and how to configure your computers to talk to the AP, the AP to talk to the repeater. and the repeater to talk to shore) or to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Anyway - I got tired of explaining to people how to do it and what to buy, so I decided to start a company and to build a new device with my partner. Jeez - now I'm starting to sound like Craig from Rocna

By the way - Yes, you can set up Internet sharing on multiple computers, but it's flaky and unpredictable. I tried setting it up for others on a few cruising boats and just ended up turning it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook