SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to moor/sail near Philly?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I am at Fox's Grove Marina in Essington, very friendly marina including helpful power boat folks who will tow you off the shoals, and help you dock in the strong current, or secure you dock lines and hatches if a nasty storm whips through.

Fox's Grove pulls all boats at the end of October and permits work in the yard, a mechanic and shop is on site.

Anchorage has no haul out or storage, but does permit in water over winter. I have over wintered at Anchorage and could sail into early December and out on the river again in mid March.

Essington does not freeze but may get ice chunks and debris propelled by the current at 5 or 6 knots in January and February.

Many other choices at Essington including Anchorage Marina which has pump out and a gas dock (no diesel), liveaboard OK.

West End Marina and Corinthian require membership.

Laggon Nightclub Marina has seen better days but has a travel lift and the largest on land storage area and work is OK in the yard.

Little Tinicum Island provides wave protection, and the water between Little Tinicum and Tinicum (where most of the aircraft noise is) is good for a one or two hour easy sail without barges, tugs and freighters.

The noise from the airport can be unpleasent, and while on the river more noise from the Boeing plant and Eddystone power station.

Within one season at Essington you will have mastered tides and tidal current, chart reading and rules of the road, just as a matter of survival.

My afternoon sails are usualy in the waters between Walt Whitman and Commodore Barry Bridges, but a long day sail will be to Delaware City or a short day sail to Penns Landing.

I live about 30 mins from Essington when the traffic is in my favor, but if I was only 10 mins there would be many more afternoon sails.

The industrial Delaware is not the most atractive sailing area, for that I charter on the Chesapeake and BVI, but it is nearby and "love the one your with".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook