SailNet Community - View Single Post - Iota Charger with AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Iota Charger with AGM batteries

Hi All,

Our new to us Dehler 39 has a Mastervolt 30 amp smart charger. Nice charger in theory, but it is not working quite like it should. It puts out 13.4 volts no matter how it set, AGM, gel, conventional. Its .6 volt diode compensation isn't working either, and all 3 idiot lights stay lit all the time even though ammeter shows we have gone thru the 3 stages and are now in trickle charge mode. So while I am currently keeping the batteries pretty well charged up it isn't the ideal set up and will have to be changed out sometime.

I have read the posts raving about Iota and am thinking about either the 30 or 45 amp one with the smart brain upgrade but am concerned that they do not have temp compensation and that they don't really appear to be for marine use, it looks like they come with a household 120volt duplex plug on them. I guess what I am hoping for is some reassurance that over the long haul they won't fry my spendy 2 8D house bank and how to deal with the power cord issue. I would also like to get some charge to my Group 27 start battery which is not AGM. It currently is not in the charge loop and relies on alternator only for charging.

thank you for your input
Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook